There are very few differences in daily usage. RxWorks Cloud uses the processes that have been proven over the years in the server-based system. They are stable and reliable. RxWorks will run in a window on your computer just like any other application. All your normal desktop applications are totally unaffected, and you can install and run any software locally as required.
Server based functionality missing from RxWorks Cloud
- Network drives – if you previously had an RxWorks server you would have had I (information) & S (Confidential) drives. These will no longer be available.
- Local applications: Provet E-Order, etc. (Provet E-order can be changed to Provet Connect. Simply contact your Provet BAM. This cannot be done until you have RxWorks version 5.0 or above. They (BAM) will issue you logon info for a website where you will generate a token. Then this can be entered in a setup screen of RxWorks along with other details)
- Subnet page styles: As you will become cloud based there is no way it can determine what subnet your clinic or branch clinics are on. However in saying that personalised page styles will work and thus can be changed prior OR after going to the cloud if required. Our project has a task to occur prior to going live so that way it will be done prior to your ‘Go Live’.
- Demo databases: in the past you had two (2) RxWorks icons. The normal one and a ‘demo’ shortcut. With the cloud version of RxWorks there will no longer be a ‘demo’ to use as before. However if you would like access to a ‘demo’ of your database we can arrange this. This is possible but it would require you to purchase an additional license as we would need to provision a separate AD (Active Directory) user. Please contact your Practice Advisor if you would like this to occur.
- Backups: the backup of your database will not be handled via the RxWorks application and instead will be handled in the SQL back end. Once we move you to ‘The Cloud’ we will disable the RxWorks tasks associated with running backups in RxWorks.
- Attaching a file to a client / patient / visit record manually. Will provide a ‘how to’ guide for this.
- Mobile Vet – will no longer work as it will not be able to sync to the main database.
- Sparkline – Sparkline / Sparkline Lite will not be available on the Cloud.
- Data Access module is no longer available.
Other additional changes;
- Licensing has changed from per work-station to a per user basis. The advantage of this to you is simple. You will be able to connect in from as many machines as you like and will only be limited to the amount of user accounts that you have.
- Network drives will need to stay local. Unfortunately the cloud version of RxWorks is a remote application and thus does not have the ability to handle network drives as in the past. That being said, we will need to keep both the I drive (Information) and the S drive (Confidential) locally. In the meantime we can set this up on each terminal as a network drive OR shortcut (whichever you prefer). This can then be moved down the track if you so desire.
- LibreOffice is used rather than Microsoft Office. This may mean that some of your document templates will need amending due to this. This can be a simple as changing fonts, formatting etc. If you require assistance one of the RxWorks staff will be able to assist.
- Editing document templates requires a Microsoft Office 365 subscription that has Word. We can allocate each of your subscriptions to a Cloud user account so that your document templates can be edited in the same way as the on-premise version of RxWorks.
- Performance Pack – This is due to the fact that Performance Pack requires Microsoft Excel and this is not available on the RxWorks Cloud version. That being said we do have other means to achieve the same ability through data wizards.
- The ‘Poll Now’ button will no longer poll documents (Document Integration), this has a different process that is automated.
RxWorks software is installed and run on the Microsoft Azure global network of datacentres. To begin to use RxWorks Cloud, you will be guided through the following process:
- your practice will be provisioned with a database and a storage area for information such as templates and logos
- there’ll be an implementation process similar to a server-based system and will vary based on your specific requirements
- we will create accounts for all of your users who will be accessing the service
- Your internet connection will be checked to ensure it can access RxWorks Cloud.
To run RxWorks Cloud the Citrix Reciever will need to be installed on each machine that will connect to the Cloud. When you click on the Citrix icon a session will be started. Enter your login details and RxWorks will open in a window on your computer. You carry on in exactly the same way as you would for server-based RxWorks.
All of your RxWorks software and data is stored in the cloud. This has the following benefits:
- your data is automatically backed up with at least 3 copies held at any given time, one of which is in a separate datacentre at least 500 km away from the original
- upgrades to both RxWorks and other software components are handled automatically, so your system is always up-to-date with the latest features and updates.
You will need a commercial-grade broadband internet connection. We strongly advise that you also have a backup connection (such as 3G or 4G cellular data) in case your primary broadband service suffers a failure.
You will also need devices from which to access the service. You can download the Citrix Reciever RemoteApp client for Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, Mac OS X and Android devices to access Citrix Reciever App. We recommend using the RemoteApp client for Windows, Windows Surface, Mac or iPad devices for the best experience.
Yes. We will be providing some light-weight management software that runs in your clinic in order to interact with your devices such as printers and lab equipment. This software will integrate with your account in the cloud and transfer files to and from the system as needed.
Also, initially some laboratory equipment may not be supported. Please check with your Practice Advisor for details.
Note: This device-management software will initially be supported only on Windows and will need to be running on a computer in each branch.
There is the possibility that the hosted service can experience a problem or failure. Citrix Reciever App guarantees a 99.9% monthly availability so there is still a very small risk of unexpected downtime. Of course these risks also exist with a server. In the case of a hosted service outage, there are many technicians and support staff working to maintain the service so the period of any outage will likely be shorter than a local outage.